Dr. Veena Katikineni is a board-certified Internist and Rheumatologist based in the High Desert area of Southern California. She grew up in Bethesda, Maryland, going on to complete her undergraduate degree at the University of Maryland on the prestigious full-ride merit Banneker/Key scholarship. She then attended medical school at the University of Maryland, followed by Internal Medicine residency training at INOVA Fairfax Hospital, a large tertiary-care academic medical center in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area. She completed her fellowship in Rheumatology at the world-renowned University of Pittsburgh, where she trained under many of the nation’s leading experts in Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Myositis, Scleroderma, and Vasculitis. Dr. Katikineni believes in taking a holistic and patient-centered approach, keeping her patient’s wishes and priorities at the core of each treatment plan.
- 08/2008 – 05/2012BS - University of Maryland, College Park, College Park, MD
- 08/2012 – 06/2017MD - University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- 07/2017 – 06/2020Internal Medicine Resident, INOVA Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, Virginia
- 07/2020 – 06/2022Rheumatology Fellow, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 2018-2020Advanced Cardiac Life Support, INOVA Fairfax Hospital
- 2018Fundamentals of Critical Care Support, INOVA Fairfax Hospital
- 2017200-hour Vinyasa Yoga Instructor, Banyan Gallagher Yoga
- 2021Medical Board of California, License number A172714
- 2020Pennsylvania Board of Medicine, License number MT218370
- 2018Virginia Board of Medicine, License number 0101265888
- 2008-2012Banneker/Key Scholarship- received merit scholarship including tuition and board for undergraduate education at the University of Maryland, College Park.
- 2011Maryland Summer Scholars Aware- funded $4500 to develop and pursue independent summer research project abroad in New Delhi, India.
- 2012New England Journal of Medicine Gold Scholarship- funded to attend NEJM 200th Anniversary "Dialogues in Medicine" Symposium at Harvard Medical School. Winning essay- "Lack of Cyber- Infrastructure in the Global Health Research Community: A Proposal for Expanding Collaboration."
- 2013Global Dairy Data Challenge First Place Award- awarded by New York Academy of Science, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and The Sackler Institute of Nutrition Science. Received $5,625 cash prize for two-person team proposal to improve global data collection for small shareholder dairy farmers.
- 2013The Healthy Young America Video Contest Finalist Award- awarded by Healthcare.gov and the Young Invincibles. Received $2,500 cash prize for an animation to explain the benefits of the Affordable Care Act for young uninsured Americans.
- 2014Global Mental Health Challenge First Place Award- awarded by New York Academy of Science and Johnson & Johnson. Received $10,000 cash prize for a mobile application to increase diagnosis and treatment of depression/anxiety in developing countries.
- 20144.0 Schools Launch Summer Incubator Finalist Award- awarded by Khan Academy and 4.0 Schools. Received travel grant to present proposal to education entrepreneurs in New Orleans to guide development of the upcoming Khan Academy School. Refined concept through group diagramming exercises and stakeholder interviews over the course of two days.
- 2021Twitter Ambassador, Myositis Community Hub Moderator- awarded by the American College of Rheumatology. Moderated several international expert panel sessions related to Myositis and disseminated educational teaching points on social media.
Memberships in Professional and Scientific Societies
- National Societies
- 08/2018 – Present American College of Rheumatology
- 08/2017 – 08/2020 American College of Physicians
- Local Societies
- 07/2020- Present Pennsylvania Rheumatology Society
- 08/2018 – 06/2020 DC Rheumatism Society
- Priyamvara A, Dey AK, Bandyopadhya D, Katikineni V, Zaghol R, Basyal B, Barssoum K, Amarin R, Bhatt D, Lavie CJ. (2020, June 8). Periodontal inflammation and the risk of cardiovascular disease. Current Atherosclerosis Reports, 22 (28). doi: 10.1007/s11883-020-00848-6
- Dey AK, Bandyopadhya D, Katikineni V, Chopra R, Vedantam KS, Devraj M, Chowdary AK, Navarengom K, Lavie CL, Kolpakchi A, Jneid H. (2020, May 19). Obesity, systemic hypertension, and pulmonary hypertension: A tale of three diseases. Current Problems in Cardiology. doi: 10.1016/j.cpcardiol.2020.100599
- Katikineni VS, Kant S, Gapud EJ, Antiochos B, Manno RL, Phillips M, Seo P, Duvuru G. (2019, April 29). Uncommon presentations in ANCA vasculitis: clinical characteristics and outcomes. Clinical Rheumatology. doi: 10.1007/s10067-019-04568-4
- Conway M, Daniluk K, Felder J, Foo A, Goheer A, Katikineni V, Mazzella A, Park YJ, Peabody G, Pereira A, Raghavachari D, Shah S, & Vaswani R. (2012). Improving cold chain technologies through the use of phase change material. Digital Repository at the University of Maryland. http://hdl.handle.net/1903/12491
- Katikineni VS, Lee T, Hulamm TT et al. (2010, November). Examining visceral leishmaniasis, a zoonotic parasitic disease: a review. Scientific Terrapin. 2(1): 36-45.
- Radiology in Global Health: Strategies, Implementation, and Applications. (2014). Editors: Mollura DJ, Lungren MP. Assistant Editors: Shah N, Katikineni VS. Springer New York.
Click here to download Dr. Katikineni CV